Follow me on my journey to become a high school science teacher in a high-needs school in New York City. I hope to post lesson plan ideas as well as the everyday trials and tribulations of working in the forever changing school system.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

AP Biology Photosynthesis Formal Observation

Tomorrow I am having my first formal observation with my supervisor from Queens College, Dr. Shady.  I am teaching the AP Biology class the light reactions of photosynthesis.  It always surprises me how long it takes me to create a lesson plan.  I sit on the internet for hours going through all of the resources (good and bad) and try to find the perfect activity to engage my students.  Throughout the process these are the thoughts going through my head:

  • will this always take me so long?
  • how am I going to do this next semester when I have to create a lesson every day?
  • did my teachers do this for me when I was in school (they couldn't have could they?  I seriously never remember doing group activities or seeing a formal lesson plan written out by my teachers.  I totally was just a naive unappreciative high schooler)
  • there has to be a better resource that combines all of the good resources in one (I am trying to create this with my current classmates- I think we can be each other's best resources.)
  • is it really going to take me this long?
How do you make photosynthesis- what seems to be a very step by step process that doesn't change into a fun activity for the students to learn?  After searching through what felt like 100s of website I finally found a resource for the "photosynthesis theater." In the photosynthesis theater your students become the molecules involved in photosynthesis.  They have to get out of their desks work together and create the simulation for the light reaction of photosynthesis.  This activity is not like anything they have done in class yet.  I am a little nervous about the kids getting exciting and therefore acting out while my supervisor is there but we will see how it goes.  You never know how something is going to turn out until you try it....right?

In my lesson I am also trying a pseudo-flipped classroom.  I gave the students a video to watch on photosynthesis and I created a guided notes form for them to fill out as they watch the video.  In this way they will come in with some back ground knowledge and we will hopefully be able to spend less time on the direct instruction and more time on the activity.

After tomorrow I plan to post pictures and a reflection on how the lesson went!  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment