Follow me on my journey to become a high school science teacher in a high-needs school in New York City. I hope to post lesson plan ideas as well as the everyday trials and tribulations of working in the forever changing school system.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

First Formal Observation Complete!

I can let out a sigh of relief after two weeks of planning and going back and forth with my cooperating teacher I finally had my first formal observation yesterday.

I have been telling my Queens College supervisor, Dr. Shady, for weeks that my classes at Newtown are really good.  I told him the school has a very inviting culture, that the kids are respectful, and really smart.  Apparently I didn't get the message across because after my observation  he could not believe how well behaved, engaged, and smart my AP Biology class was.

My lesson was on the light reactions of photosynthesis.  For the beginning ten minutes of class I reviewed the basics of photosynthesis with the students.  This included the overall reaction of photosynthesis, the pigment molecules, what wavelength of visible light the pigment molecules absorb and reflect, and the structure of the chloroplast.  Then for the next fifteen minutes we learned about the light reactions in details.  We went over the electron transport chain, the production of ATP, and the splitting of water.  Then we acted out the light reactions of photosynthesis.  Each student was given a part that I made and they wore it around their neck.  Then we walked through the light reactions.  I used a series of guiding questions to get the students to tell me what their role was in the light dependent reactions of photosynthesis.  During the first run through the students really needed a lot of guiding from me.  After we completed the first run through I gave the students a couple of minutes to speak with their classmates to clarify any misconceptions and then I let them go through the entire reaction basically on their own.  My students were completely engaged and loved that they were able to get out of their seats and learn in a new way.  I would definitely use this activity again in my classroom.  The next time I would maybe let the students watch a video on the light reactions and then go right into the activity from there.  I would not formally teach the material first.  Then we could work through what happens together.  At the end of class I would give them or post "formal" notes on the topic so that student who do not learn best by doing will have access to the material as well.

After Dr. Shady left my students were so cute and were instantly concerned about my grade.  Miss did you get 100?  Miss did you pass? Miss did he like it?  Miss we got your back we did good right?

I am just starting to realize how lucky I am to be in a school like Newtown.  Even though Newtown is considered a failing school I do not see it anywhere in the school.  The students are respectful, the science AP is amazing and very approachable, and the school atmosphere is so warm and inviting.  I am sure going to miss it when I leave in a couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment