Follow me on my journey to become a high school science teacher in a high-needs school in New York City. I hope to post lesson plan ideas as well as the everyday trials and tribulations of working in the forever changing school system.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

KizCity

We went on a field trip yesterday to Kiz City.  It is a model city for the kids to play in- the kids loved it and I loved the concept.  The kids look at it as an amusement park, but they don’t realize how much they are learning while they are there.  It is set up like a main street of a town.  They have all different buildings that they kids can go into- a children’s clinic, a fire house, a fashion studio, the news station, an ice cream shop, a salon, the bank, etc.  Each kid has a “checking account” at the bank.  When you pay for the ticket they each get a certain amount of money to play with.  Certain storefronts are a “job” where the kids work to make more money to play with.  For example if you go to engineer school to learn about cars you make money, but if you go to driving school and drive the go karts you have to spend your money.  At the end of the day you can deposit your money in the bank and take it out the next time you come! 

I loved watching the fashion shows that some of the students walked in- partly because that storefront was air-conditioned!  I also loved when all of the students came up to me at the end of the day and we so excited about how much money they earned!  One student, Max couldn’t find his backpack at the end of the day.  Dennis took him around to all of the places he went to throughout the day and they couldn’t find it. Max was looking pretty bummed out so I asked him, “What was in your backpack?”  He said, “ Three books, a couple pens, and my eraser.”  I responded, “At least you didn’t have too many important things in there, do you think your parents are going to be mad?”  He said maybe, but he looked so upset I felt bad for him.  Good news is we found his backpack in the bank right before we left-wheww! 

I almost forgot- three boys from my group were missing when we lined up for the bus.  We knew they didn’t leave the park and there were very few people there besides us.  I wasn’t too worried and I left the stressing out to all of the people around me speaking Vietnamese really fast.  I helped by keeping the rest of my group quiet and in line while we were waiting.  About 15 minutes later the boys showed up- they were too busy playing to listen to any of the ten announcements made.  Oh well!  











































No comments:

Post a Comment