Follow me on my journey to become a high school science teacher in a high-needs school in New York City. I hope to post lesson plan ideas as well as the everyday trials and tribulations of working in the forever changing school system.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Teacha?


Throughout my life I always seem to surround myself by children whether it is babysitting, tutoring, assisting in social skills groups, or in the pediatric section of the ED while volunteering, children always have the same effect on me- they make me smile.  So naturally when I read about this opportunity I thought hanging with Vietnamese kids, why not?  These children are no different, I smile from the moment I walk into the classroom at 8:30 until the time I leave at 11:30.  These kids are the cutest; I will probably try and fit a few in my suitcase on the way home.  For three hours everyone morning I hear “teacha, teacha” or “Miss Mi-CHEL, Miss Mi-CHEL.”

I have never been responsible for 27 children at once before and even though I have a Vietnamese co-teacher with me sometimes it gets a little overwhelming.  (I’m used to approximately a 2:1 ratio students to adults in my Social Skills Training group.  In this group we sit in circle and each adult usually has two kids that we continuously prod to show active listening skills).  My first class that I taught (ever) was level one, the lowest level of English proficiency.  I stood in front of the room with 26 students speaking Vietnamese to each other trying to get their attention.  First I tried, “Good morning class, how is everyone?”  No one even flinched, they just continued their conversations.  Then I said, “ OK, can everyone please be quiet and look at me?”  A few students turned around and looked at me eagerly.  Now I’m not sure if they don’t understand me or if I am just being ignored, so I looked over at my co-teacher for some feedback- nothing.  Finally, I turned to what seems to be a universal symbol for be quiet/pay attention and I said, “SSSSsssshhhhhhh!”  Now I had all of the students’ attention, but how do you keep it?!  I think I got the hang of it after a week in the classroom.  All of my coworkers have been teaching for a few years so they have been giving me some pointers, and my sister, Christine, has also been helping me out via e-mail.  My coworkers will tell you that I was in a bit of a daze when I finished teaching on Monday.  I think it was a combination of jet lag and being stuck in my head reflecting on my first day as a teacher. 

I am teaching Science and the Environment while I’m here. I teach six classes (about 160 students) and I see each class twice a week. This week my level ones learned about weather and they created a weather calendar that we will be filling out throughout the month.  They also learned the parts of the plant and we will be planting seeds early next week.  My level twos also learned about weather, and water conservation.  They created raindrops and listed ways that they will conserve water.  My level threes learned many fun facts about endangered animals.  They also learned about water conservation and had a very short introduction to the water cycle via a Magic School Bus episode.  I look forward to next week when my students will all be planting bean seeds.  I am still looking for a sunny indoor area at the school to store the plants because the windows are all covered with paper to help keep the temperature down. 


Tom- Level 1


Mark- Level 2


Megan- Level 1

Anna- Level 2











Rosy (Losy)- Level 1

Carla and Paul?- Level 2

Claire 1& Claire 2- Level 2 (Yes they do respond to 1&2)


Angle- Level 1

Level 3


Level 3

Danny- Level 1

Level 3

Jenny 2- Level 1






Level 3

Jack- Level 1 (Look at that smile!)

Level 3


Josh- Level 3



 If the students were new we were encouraged to give them english names.  I felt like I was taking away their identity but they seemed to really enjoy having an english name.  I always asked first if they had a name in mind, but if they didn't I helped them out.  One student stared at me for a minute, started giggling, spoke to her friends in Vietnamese for a few seconds and then said, "Selena, like Gomez" So yes I did name a student after Selena Gomez.  I named one student Helen, and one Megan.  I usually asked for a favorite letter and then tried to come up with an easy to spell name from there.  Some of the students have unusual names such as, Tsunami, Bamboo, Sweet, and Devil.  We also have a student named Spike who knows his name is badass and gives you a smirk when you call it out. I have not learned all of the students names yet and I will probably get them all down pat the day I leave, but thats life!  I added a few names to the pictures above- usually the ones that I could see on their work.  

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. hello teacha! great lesson~ =) i tried to subscribe but failed. haha.

    ReplyDelete