Follow me on my journey to become a high school science teacher in a high-needs school in New York City. I hope to post lesson plan ideas as well as the everyday trials and tribulations of working in the forever changing school system.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Pool Party


Our field trip this Friday was to the pool!  Starting on Wednesday all I heard was:

“Teacha- you know how to swim?”
“Teacha you like to swim?”
“Teacha will you come swimming?”
Teacha- you know how to swim?”

Clearly the students were very excited to go to the pool and to go swimming with all of their teachers.  We loaded the buses and got to the pool only to tell the kids that we had to play games outside on the grass for 1 hour before we were able to go inside.  There was very little shade and the kids were too excited for swimming to focus on the games.  We did play some games that they enjoyed- steal the bacon, an over under relay, and a ring toss.  About forty-five minutes into playing all I heard was: “Teacha its too hot, we go swimming now?”  Finally I got the ok and we were able to bring the students to the pool.  I was really surprised by how hot the students were.  I thought that they would be used to the heat living here their entire lives and this is the cool season.  I guess you never get used to heat like this! 

Everyone changed into their suits and we jumped in!  I tried to spread my time in the pool between the students who could swim (in the deep end) and the students who couldn't (in the shallow end).  I raced a few students- we never seemed to end up the location we agreed the race would end. I played keep it up with a beach ball- we spent more time chasing the ball than actually playing.  Our highest was probably four.  In the shallow end I taught some of the girls how to sit on the bottom and have a "tea party."  I also took students around for rides- I usually had about five of them hanging onto me at once!  Overall a successful and tiring day at the pool for Miss Mi-CHEL.

I don’t have too many pictures of the kids at the pool because I was in the water with them most of the time- but here are a few! 


Rinsing off in the shower before hopping in the pool.

Disney Princess bathing suit and swim cap!








Eating lunch after the pool.





Anna- deep in thought.
'I wonder where I put my shoes'


Checking out the fish in the pond.



No comments:

Post a Comment